I've been thinking I'd like to see your eyes open real wide the minute that you see me

I've been thinking I'd like to see your eyes open real wide the minute that you see me

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Running Fun and an unexpected 5k

  So this week is Housing Selection which means that I have to be at work every day no later than 8am and stay until 5pm.  I'm exhausted but still making it through - mostly because I've skipped the gym for the last 2 days and I think that's allowed my body to rest a little easier at night.
  Today was a different story - today I had my running class at 6.30am.  I went to bed at 9pm last night in hopes of falling asleep early - kinda worked but not really.  I have this horrible fear that I am going to sleep through class every Tuesday night so I wake up at least 2-3 times before 6am.  It's not a huge deal if I did, but I am working so hard I don't want to miss a session.
  So as I said, I tried to fall asleep around 9pm.  I went in and out of a light sleep between 10-11pm and eventually passed out around 11.30pm.  Woke up at 2am and again at 5am.  When the alarm went off at 6am, I was kinda surprised that I was able to get up and function.  I don't know why I'm surprised - for some reason when I have something to go to - like this class (or in the past, other people waiting on me) - I can usually get up and function like I have to.
  So, I got dressed, had a few minutes so I checked email in my office and went off to my class.  Once again, I was the only one there.  Today I appreciated it.  It was actually supposed to be the class his gf taught and it was also supposed to be an easier run - no and no on both accounts.
  We ended up running 3 miles - 2 - 2 - 2 - 3 - 3- 3- 3 - 2 - 1 - 1 and the 2 starter laps.  I was  beyond exhausted when we finished.  My instructor encouraged me to take a drink of water about 1/2 way through - and I quickly learned that was a HUGE mistake on my part - I felt sick the entire rest of the run and almost threw up on the track during the last 3 laps.  No water in the tummy while running for me - can't handle it.
  But I did appreciate his help - running with someone is always better for me - because they encourage me to push through the wall (usually around 1.5-2miles for me) and their faith in me makes me able to keep going.
  I felt so good after we finished - he said I shaved 2 mins off last weeks time and I finished 3 miles in 29.53 min which means I am THISCLOSE to my goal of running a 5k in just over 30min!!
  Speaking of 5k's... I'm apparently running a 5k this weekend.  My fellow classmates already registered for it and I was highly encouraged to go.  My instructor said he'd run it with me to help me make it through so I said I'd do it.  It'll be my first 5k in just over a year - last one was in NC over Christmas Break.  Kinda nervous - thought I'd have more time to practice but I guess this one will be my practice and the regularly scheduled one will be the "real deal."  My goal is to try to run one once every 3-4 months so I can keep training and getting better.
  One thing I find interesting is how far I've come.  I kept apologizing at the end because I felt like I was running so slow and he kept telling me I was still at my same pace and I felt slower because my body was getting tired but my legs were working just as hard.  One thing I am supposed to work on is starting off slower and gaining on my pace - I tend to run at the same pace the entire time and that's why I get tired during my runs.
  And the way we are going to run it will be interesting - he wants me to run the entire thing going 2min running and 20-30 sec walking over and over again.  I know that I will get frustrated in the beginning but in the end, if it works, that's what I'm going to do until I can cut out my walks and just run straight.
  I still can't believe I ran 3 miles today - I remember my first class - we barely made a 1/2 mile without dying.  I will let you know how it goes. :)
  And I am hoping to get back to the gym tomorrow since Friday will be the last day of HS so I can spend the weekend sleeping (after the 5k!).
  And I did a quick body test on the wii (since it's closer weight wise than the BL scale) and I've lost more weight.  I am now down to 153.4 so I am pretty excited.  Only 13lbs to my final goal and 7lbs to my first goal.  Pretty happy with myself! 
  Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment