I've been thinking I'd like to see your eyes open real wide the minute that you see me

I've been thinking I'd like to see your eyes open real wide the minute that you see me

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Estim8 Run

  So this morning I could barely get out of bed.  I didn't fall asleep until well after midnight even though I was exhausted and had to throw water on my face 3 times in order to wake up even a little.  Walked (or trudged) across campus to the gym and walked in with 1 minute to spare before class.  Went upstairs to where we normally meet and waited... and waited... and waited.
  No one showed up!  Not even my instructor.  But this is where I realize I've become a stronger runner.  The old me would have said "forget this!" and walked back home and went straight to bed.
  Instead, I reminded myself that I run every class without my ipod so it's just another class minus my classmates.  I set my goal (we do that every class) and got to running.
  And I'm proud to say that I made my goal and then some.  I set myself up with a 4-3-2-1 lap and then did another 4-3-2-1 lap.  I went slower than usual because I need to improve my jog so when I run races I don't stop when I get tired - I jog it out.  It ended up being just over 2 miles which I am very happy with.  I only took at most a 10sec break in between each set of laps and walked 4 laps total (2 before running, 2 to cool down).
  And the best part - my total time was only 5 min more than what I usually run! I was super excited about that!  I feel like I'm coming so far with my running from where I was just a few short months ago.  And I'm looking forward to continuing this summer with my running class on campus and possibly one off-campus so I can meet new people.
  The other main reason I pushed myself today is my race this weekend. I want to get myself to at least run 2 miles before I need to jog or walk for a few moments.  It's gonna be fun to see how my times change as the summer progresses.
  Also, when I read the route for the run I was very excited to learn it's going to be partly along the river, which is where I already run, so I (hopefully) will have a slight advantage since I'm used to the terrain there.  We'll see!

No comments:

Post a Comment