I've been thinking I'd like to see your eyes open real wide the minute that you see me

I've been thinking I'd like to see your eyes open real wide the minute that you see me

Friday, April 29, 2011

Pre-race nervousness

  So finally a "real" post tonight.  I apologize again for falling behind - things have been crazy as it's the end of the year for me with the main part of my job.
  I've been hitting the gym pretty hard the past few weeks and tried to step back a little bit this week due to my race tomorrow.  I had planned to do 2 miles Monday, 1.5 on Tuesday and 3 on Wednesday and 2 on Thursday.  Instead I did Monday, Tuesday and as planned and ran 1 mile on Wed just to stretch my legs.  Since we added some new weight machines this past week I gave my arms a little break and focused a little more on my legs and abs earlier in the week.  On Thursday I skipped any form of running and walked the track a little over a half mile until my final Zumba class started.  I really hope they offer the class in the summer - I just love it!
  Today I ran errands and finally found the time to register for my race tomorrow.

  I have to be honest - I am so nervous!!  I haven't raced since the Sweetheart 5k back in late February and although I've built up my miles since then as well as my time, I'm so afraid I'm not going to hit my goal!
  I am setting a hard goal of sub-35 and a soft goal of sub-30.  I don't think I'll hit the sub-30 because I've never done this course and I am sure it will have a few hills since it's downtown.  I haven't been working on my hills so we'll see how I do.
  As usual, I have all my stuff laid out...
  And I'll be trying out my new shoes for the first time during a race.
  They have been working great all week so this will be the big test for me I guess. : )
  While I was registering I remembered to pick up some new bags of Jelly Belly's for pre-race as well as some goodies I plan on sending to Stephen to try out during his long runs to see what he likes.
  I had them laughing when I picked up my packet.  She handed me number 76 and I looked at her and I said "I know this is so dumb but... is 77 still available?  That's kinda my lucky number and I'm hoping it brings me luck."  She laughed and said she totally understood and gave me my number!!
  So here's hoping it brings me a good time!  The race isn't until 9.30am which is kinda late for a spring/summer race so I'll be bringing a hat in case it is super sunny.  I have 2 alarms set for 8am figuring I'll hit downtown by 8.45am and still have at least 45 minutes to walk around, stretch and calm down.
  It's weird but I'm looking forward to it because it's the only race out of the next 3 that I'll be doing alone.  Eryn is going to run the Cinco de Mayo with me next Friday night and then Joey is going to come out and cheer me on for the Full Moon 5k (it was the first race she supported me at a year ago) for posterity.
  I updated my iShuffle, bought some new songs (I treat myself to at least 4 new songs each race) and feel somewhat confident so we'll see how I do!  Keep your fingers crossed for me! : )

No comments:

Post a Comment