I've been thinking I'd like to see your eyes open real wide the minute that you see me

I've been thinking I'd like to see your eyes open real wide the minute that you see me

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

40 miles in 40 days... and Zumba!

  I am finally feeling like I am back on track with my workouts and exercise routine.  Next week will be a challenge as Eryn is going away for the week to a conference and she's the one who usually makes sure I'm up and ready to work out.  I do my runs with no problem... it's the other stuff I'm not so good at doing by myself.  We'll see.
  Anyway, when it comes to my miles I'm slowly getting up there.  I have 3 days of 2 miles each under my belt giving me an additional 6 miles this week.  I'm planning on another 2 tomorrow before Zumba and we are going to attempt another 2 or more miles on Sunday morning again.  This time I will make sure to hydrate WELL before the run!!
  Aside from feeling like 2 miles is an easy run again (exciting!!), I've been making plans with my Monday running partner to start upping my distance when I run with her.  She pushes me to go faster which is working nicely.  We did a 9.20 min/mile and a 10 min/mile non-stop so I felt really good about that.  I've also been trying to do two laps slow, one lap fast when I run by myself to keep pushing myself a little faster each time.
  I sat down today and started planning my May races.  I looked at my calendar and realized it's been almost 2 months since I've raced!  That makes me so sad!  Thankfully I'll be doing three in a row soon!!  It was going to be 4 but I think I'm going to drop the underwear race.  I think 4 races in 4 weekends would probably not be the best idea.  I'll be doing the Race Against Racism downtown (which means a lot of hills) on April 30th, the Cinco de Mayo night race on May 6th, and the Full Moon 5k on the 14th!  I'm most excited about the Full Moon because I want to beat last years time. : )
  I'm sure my legs can handle all of this racing but I'm just not so sure about my wallet... but I figure I could be spending the $75 on much worse!
  I also started looking at my half marathon in November.  I was so happy to see it wasn't Thanksgiving weekend this year.  That means I can actually do it!  It's at $50 right now but if I don't register before May 8th it raises $10.  With all of my upcoming races I think I may just bite the bullet and pay the extra ten bucks so I can register in June when I won't be running a race (too hot!).
  I also noticed they do a quarter marathon.  It sounded so fun but sadly I can't do it.  But, not too sad about it - I'll be in Philly instead celebrating my good friend Jeff's wedding to his lovely bride!  Definitely worth missing a race for.  : )  It will also be a slight reunion with some of my favorite people from my undergrad - much more important than a race!
  The other thing making life more fun and less stressful right now - I signed up for an end of the semester Zumba class.  As many of you know I took the semester off from Zumba because my regular instructor is studying abroad.  I figured the new teacher would be very different and I was right so I was glad I didn't spend the money.
  Then I noticed some signs offering Zumba with another instructor from last week until the semester ends (5 weeks) for $20.  I figured that was a good deal and signed up.  Turns out my new instructor is one of my former residents from last year.  It's funny because I know some of the moves already and the girls in the class who are easily 12-14 years younger than me can't believe that I'm in the class and I know the moves already. Makes me laugh.  I tease them that it's how I keep young and manage to look closer to their age than I am.
  I love Zumba and being in the class makes me realize just how much it energizes me.  I hit the gym an hour before class to get at least 2 miles in running then do some arm weights and then head to class where I pretty much sweat non-stop for 40 minutes.  The only downside is my old instructor used to add abs at the end with the cool down and the new instructor doesn't.  But, hopefully when she is finished studying abroad my old one will come back and teach her last year before she graduates.
  That's about it - I wanted to update quickly outside of the 30 day challenge before I get some much needed shut eye!  Have a great night!

No comments:

Post a Comment