I've been thinking I'd like to see your eyes open real wide the minute that you see me

I've been thinking I'd like to see your eyes open real wide the minute that you see me

Monday, January 3, 2011

Happy New Year!

  I just finished adding up my total mileage since I started keeping track the first week of May.  I'm happy to say that I've run over 200 miles!  That's not including all the miles before I started keeping track.  Such an accomplishment!
  I did end up running the New Years Eve race.  That in itself was a feat!  I went to the bar with friends to celebrate and had set my alarm to remind myself to leave about 45min in time for the race.  As I left the bar in my heels and a dress, I quickly realized I left my sneakers at Joey's apartment when we were getting ready to go out.  Thankfully I live very close to the bar we were at so I very dangerously threw on my pants and sped back to my apartment to get my extra old sneakers that sit in the back of my closet.  I literally ran from my car to the back door in my strapless dress and running pants in bare feet, threw on the sneakers, socks and a sports bra and ran back to my car to put on my shirts and hoodies.  I drove quickly back to the race site and Stephen called me as I was pulling into a spot to wish me a Happy New Year (I'm an hour behind him).  As I quickly talked to him on the phone I realized I couldn't find my number bib.  I knew they wouldn't let me race without it and probably wouldn't believe me that I had already registered.  I searched the car for another 5 minutes after I got off the phone and finally found it under the car seat.  At this point I had about 10 minutes before the race started so I headed up to find the starting point.
  I was so stressed which is never a good way to start a race, but I had my mind set - I wanted to run a sub-30 and run the entire race.  This goal doesn't seem that bad since my last race was sub-28 however I hadn't run in almost 2 weeks at this point and I knew this course was hard - it was the same one as the Skirt Chaser's in September - when I did a 36.18.
  I ran my heart out and realized half way through that I wasn't going to hit sub-30 but I was ok with that.  I could tell because they started setting off fireworks at midnight and I hadn't hit the half way mark at that point yet.  I kicked it up a notch and pushed myself a little harder and kept setting my sites on people ahead of me to pass out and push myself harder.
  I'm happy to say that despite 2 weeks off, I did pretty well.  I finished the race at 31.20 and ran the entire race.  As I returned to my friends they all made sure to let me know that although I didn't make the time goal I wanted, I beat my last time on that track by 5 minutes and I was one of the crazy people who chose to run in 26 degrees while most were inside drinking and enjoying life.  My results were 60 out of 247 (women only), 7 out of 29 (my age group), 199 of 520 (overall) and 7 of 40 (weight placement).  With those stats, definitely one of my better races.
  I've been doing a lot of thinking about what I want my goals for running and exercising to be this year.  I feel like I've come so far in so many ways but I still have a long way to go before I'm where I want to be.  I hate making "new years resolutions" but instead, after talking to a friend a few days ago, I'm making goals for my health in 2011.
  - I will run a half marathon on May 1, 2011.  Current goal is as close to 2.30 as possible.
  - I will continue train at least 3-4 times a week with the training group as well as my running class.
  - I will go to the gym to cross train at least 1-2 times a week.
  - I will start doing yoga or piyo at least 1 - 2 times a week to gain a more sculpted body.
  - I will continue to eat veggies at least once a day 5 days a week.
  - I will give up diet coke for lent again and not start drinking it once I give it up.
  - I will drink at least 50 oz of water a day to keep my body hydrated and keep me healthy.
  - Finally, I will do my best to keep myself as healthy and happy as possible.

1 comment:

  1. Go you!! After all that craziness, is so awesome that you that you did so well! Congratulations! :)

    ReplyDelete