I've been thinking I'd like to see your eyes open real wide the minute that you see me

I've been thinking I'd like to see your eyes open real wide the minute that you see me

Monday, July 11, 2011

Poker 5 Mile Run and more

  I have to say that last week was a great week for me.  Probably one of the best birthdays I've had in a long time which is always nice.

  
I received my first Edible Arrangement ever from my best friend Sarah!  Let me just tell you nothing is more awesome to someone eating healthy and in training than getting a bouquet of fruit!!  I ate about half of it in the first 2 hours and shared the rest with my staff.  It was delicious!!


  Last weekend when we had "girls night" two of my staff bought me these beauties.  I absolutely love carnations - esp. since they are cheap and last forever.  These are on my kitchen table with my yummy apples for the week.  Definitely brightens up my kitchen.

  My wonderful friend Catherine surprised me with a huge box on my birthday containing...


  Some of my favorite things!  She gave me a new mug (and tea) to continue my obsession as well as a wonderful giftcard to iTunes and an outfit from the GAP.  She even knew my correct sizes!  I was beyond surprised and extremely thankful for her thoughtfulness.  : )  She's the best ex-roomie ever!

  Outside of my birthday, I've been working on going through my freezer and pantry before going out and buying new food.  I've managed to go through 1 box of cereal, a loaf of bread and a box of pasta already and I'm hoping to finish off a few more side dish boxes soon.  I'm trying to eat less boxed food and more fresh.

  I did pull one of those loaves of bread I bought a while ago from the farmer's market and it was amazing.  I couldn't believe how fresh it tasted after being in my freezer since April!!




  I finished it off within 4 days.  It stayed fresh the entire time which blew my mind.

  Two big events happened this weekend.  My friend Joey's engagement party and the Poker 5 Mile Run for training.

 
  Joey's is eloping in less than 2 weeks so her best friend and I threw her a small bachelorette party on friday night.  We had a good turn out and she said she had a blast which made me happy.

  Kellie did a great job with the goodie bags!!



  Sadly, due to training I had to leave very early in the evening but from the little I've heard, it sounds like they had a great time after I left.

  That's one of the hardest things right now about training - missing out on the fun stuff, but I am working on being disciplined so I can reach my goal.  Last time Eryn and I tried to train for the OKC half marathon we both ended up getting injured in the beginning of training and I don't want to go through that again.  If I can do this Half in November I'm hoping to set the next goal of doing the OKC Half in the spring and moving knowing I did 2 half's before I left OK.

  Our training schedule can be found here.  We're doing the beginner's Half Marathon training.  With it being so hot we're now trying to schedule more training week runs inside at the gym and keeping our Saturday runs outside with the group.  I don't do so well with the heat - I get horrible migraines so I'm working on extending my mileage but not killing my head in the process.


  The run is a non-timed race where they ask for a $5 donation - the money is used to pay for our post-training run snacks and drinks. 

  I can't speak for Eryn but I was super nervous.  I had never done or even attempted 5 miles before it was a little nerve wracking... especially when I took the previous week and weekend off due to vacation.  Thankfully I ran three times during the week to get back what I lost and was somewhat prepared for the run.

  I set my imapmyrun app on my iPhone and tried to slow my mind and my breathing.  Then we were off!  As I mentioned before, I hate knowing the course - it works against me if I do because then I know how much more I have and I tend to develop mental blocks.  This course was pretty good about that - they only took us back on the same part for about a mile.

  I took my ishuffle in case Eryn and I got separated and ended up using it about half way through.  I was slightly faster than Eryn... by maybe 20 seconds but it worked against me at the end when my legs started getting weak and she passed me because I had to walk for a minute.  I did end up catching up to her within the last .2 miles and we finished together very strong.  She ran the entire 5 miles and I ran about 4.8 of the 5 non-stop.  We finished right around 55 minutes which means we were in the faster part of our group (11-12 min mile pace).

  Using that information Eryn has set the goal of us crossing the finish line in 2.5 hours.  Right now the thought of running 2.5 hours straight is extremely overwhelming but then I remind myself that the thought of running 5 miles a few weeks ago was the same.  It puts it slightly into perspective and makes me feel like the goal of 13.1 isn't quite so out of reach if I keep pushing myself.

  This weekend will be a challenge - I'm in training from Wed-Friday, have the Harry Potter premiere very late Thursday night/Friday morning and the next 5 mile training run on Saturday morning by myself because Eryn will be out of town.  I have a feeling this weekend is going to wipe me out.

  I fly out early Monday morning to Indianapolis for a conference until Thursday and then I'm headed out for a weekend away so I miss the first 6 mile weekend run.  My hope is the hotel has at least a treadmill or is located somewhere safe so I can get some miles in while I'm at the conference.

  We'll see how this week goes... I have a feeling it's going to fly by like last week which is both good and bad.  But it's one week closer to finally opening my building and having my girls back with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment