I've been thinking I'd like to see your eyes open real wide the minute that you see me

I've been thinking I'd like to see your eyes open real wide the minute that you see me

Monday, July 25, 2011

Life in a whirl wind!

  I apologize for not updating in a while.  Things have, as expected, picked up and life has been crazy here.

  Eryn was out of town 2 weekends ago so I had to do our long training run (5 miles) by myself.  Already nervous about the length - I just made the 4 miles the weekend before.  About 2 miles in my iShuffle headphones busted on me once again.  This is at least the 2nd (if not 3rd) pair I've gone through since I've started running again.

  Apparently I sweat so much it gets into them and since I have the previous type of iShuffle I have to have the ones with the switch on the cord - I don't have switches on my shuffle.



  So, first thing I did after the run was go on ebay and order 2 extra pairs as well as a case for them to keep an extra set in the car for training.



  I flew out early Monday with some co-workers to Indianapolis, Indiana for a conference for work. I was extremely excited for this conference as it has a great impact on my job - especially in the fall.  My building has become 90% freshmen this year so I will working with many of them with the Mapworks program.  It's basically a retention program where they answer self-assessment questions so we better understand where they feel they are in their education and learning.


  I have found it to be a very useful tool in working with my freshmen.  Because this generation is so open and honest (to a fault on facebook) it helps give administrators a better understanding of where they think they are and where their grades are and if it's an adequate reflection of both.

  Since I was in a strange city I wasn't comfortable going for a run outside - even though we were on a college campus.  Instead I decided to use the treadmill in the gym at the hotel.  Definitely an interesting experience...

  I set the goal of 4 miles and finished 2.  I am not exaggerating when I say that I was drenched in sweat.  I answered an important phone call and left the gym and walked around for about 10 minutes and still entered my room drenched.  The gym had no air and felt like a sauna - it was terrible!!  Needless to say, I was not able to work out again in that type of heat.  I don't need to injure myself!

  Upon my return I jumped in a car and made my way to North Carolina to say goodbye to a good friend who is leaving for grad school.  If I was a good blogger I would have remembered to take my camera and taken the mandatory photos of all the people I spent time with but... I didn't.  Those who I got to see know who they are and hopefully they enjoyed the time we spent together as much as I did.

  Being "home" - even for less than 36 hours, was so worth it!!  I realized as much as I love my grad university, I don't think I'm going to  consider applying back there.  It's changed too much for me and there are so many memories there that it wouldn't feel right anymore.  And I actually feel ok about that - not sad like I was after Homecoming.  It was like a final closure for me, which I think I needed.

  I also was able to spend time (although much too short!) with two of my best friends from grad school.  I've missed both of them so much and being able to spend just a few precious hours with them was well worth it.  Hopefully we can make time in the future to spend a weekend together and have fun.  I miss them from my life - we keep in contact pretty regularly but it's always good to see a smiling, friendly face!

  It's amazing to think of how far I've come since I lived there and went to school there.  I feel in so many ways like I am a completely different person.  Not better, just different.  I've definitely grown more as a person since I left and have had so many experiences I am thankful for.  I guess this weekend has made me realize that in a year, a whole new world will be opening for me and that's so exciting for me.  The possibility of finding a new job, being back on the East Coast and being at a job and living in a city that will be new and exciting - I am scared but so excited for all of these things and I am finally feeling confident as I go into this new place.  I really like this feeling! : )

No comments:

Post a Comment