I've been thinking I'd like to see your eyes open real wide the minute that you see me

I've been thinking I'd like to see your eyes open real wide the minute that you see me

Monday, June 14, 2010

Runaway 5k

  So I had my 5k this Saturday.
  One thing all the running blogs and magazines I've read stress is that a runner should always check the course prior to the race so they know what to expect.  I've never been one to follow this rule.  Many times over I've learned that if I would have checked the course prior I probably would not have run the race.
  This race is a great example of that - had I drove the course earlier in the week, I can guarantee that I would not have run it.  It was, by far, the hardest course I have had in a long time.  Since I've moved away from NC, I haven't had a chance to run steep hills (they were a part of my running/training in NC).  So as I've said many times before, I've become (sadly) used to flat land or slight hills.
  This course was major hills - 3 hills to start, a down slope, another hill, flat land to turn around and then back to the hills to end.
  My first time was 6 min (I think that was the half mile mark).  I ran about a half mile and had to stop and walk up the rest of the hill.  It was just too steep for me, especially right at the start.
  I didn't catch my second time (at the half-way mark).   As I was heading back, my time at the original 6 min mark was 27 min.  I was pretty sure at that point I was no where near the end and would not be close to my usual 31 min mark.
  However, once I crested the last hill I knew the end was in sight.  I got the starting pieces of my "end race" song and stepped it up a bit.  Just as I saw the finish line I realized my running partner Jeff was walking to it.  I tapped him on the back and told him he HAD to run across the finish line with me and we both timed in at 34:27.
  At first I was very unhappy with my time (I'm being honest) but after talking it over with many different people, I came to realize that they were right - 34 minutes is really good for a course with many hills that I was not prepared for.  So, in the end, I am very proud of my time.  The last time I ran a course with hills I came in around 40 minutes so even after all these years, I'm still getting better.
Go me! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment