I've been thinking I'd like to see your eyes open real wide the minute that you see me

I've been thinking I'd like to see your eyes open real wide the minute that you see me

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Runners vs. Walkers

  So I know I'm being a brat, but I realized lately that I strongly feel that tracks should either designate walker lanes or there should be two different tracks.
  Case in point - today I was really, really pushing myself on the track.  I was literally trying to stay awake at my desk this afternoon.  I didn't sleep well the night before (nightmares) and woke up to rain at 6am so I didn't get my morning run in like I wanted to.  So, I got dressed in my running gear and patiently waiting for 5pm to hit.
  Walked to the gym and got ready to run.   Normally when I run the track on Thurs. it's with an older couple (who stay on the far right lane) and my fellow runner Jeff and our instructor (they are working out together).  That gives me 3 lanes to run in.
  Today, that was not the case.  I kept having to dodge walkers!  Two girls were walking directly in the 2 center lanes, two other students were walking in the 2 left lanes and then myself and the few other runners were dodging around them every chance we got.
  As a runner, I know that as soon as I stop running, I need to get over and out of the way.  It's just common courtesy.  But no one today (except the older couple) seemed to understand that.  Ugh!
  But anyway, I got 2.5 miles in. Today was a hard run - mostly because I was so tired.  I ran a straight mile, walked a half lap, did 5 laps, walked a half lap, did 3 laps (to finish 1 mile), walked a half lap and then did 4 more laps.
  My music was really, really helpful today.  It kept me aware of my time and also two songs gave me that extra umph! when I was about ready to crawl up and die.  Sometimes that's my favorite part of running - when my legs hurt and burn and I want nothing more than to quit but a song comes on my shuffle and I just HAVE to run to it.  Makes all the difference!
  After I left the gym I went to Joey's to eat some leftovers and we decided to hit Riverside.  I wasn't going to run (even though I was still in my running clothes) but she brought her longboard and in order to keep up and continue talking I had no choice.  So... I got in a little over another .5 miles of running.  That made my total for today 3 miles and then some.  I was so proud of myself.  My running at Riverside was super slow - I was in no rush so I figured I'd work on my slower pace and did pretty well.  It also pushed my steps close to 50,000 for the week so far.  That is awesome as my goal is to have my weekly total as close to 80,000 as possible.  That's a little over 5 miles a day of walking/running.  Something I should be doing anyway.
  Off to bed now - need some sleep before tomorrow night.  Hoping to get a quick after-work run in and then off to see my favorite cover band again!

No comments:

Post a Comment