I've been thinking I'd like to see your eyes open real wide the minute that you see me

I've been thinking I'd like to see your eyes open real wide the minute that you see me

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Running like a crazy woman!

  After a wonderful conference and an even better weekend with great friends, I'm trying desperately to catch up on everything I've put off (or forgotten) before I lose my life to training/move-in/opening.  Welcome to the life of a college professional!!

  One thing I haven't lost this week - my will and desire to run!  Now that my running buddy is back I am in full gear and ready to run!  I pulled out and dusted off my running log and have been keeping better record of my mileage.  I haven't been so good tracking it on the iPhone as my arm band sucks and is now ripping so I'm waiting for a new one from ebay to arrive soon.

  This week we are completely on target for our runs but I'm still scared out of my mind for this weekend.  We started Monday with a goal of 4 miles.  We did end up breaking it down (for a pee break) but did 2 straight 2 mile sets in 42 minutes.

  Our next run was a bit harder run since Monday was in the nice air-conditioned gym and Tuesday was outside.  Eryn works later on Tuesday nights so it plays with our schedule since the gym's summer hours end at 7pm.  We ventured out at 9pm in hopes of a less hot night - it was 114 degrees earlier in the day.  Yes, you read that correctly.

  We made our mileage but I honestly feel I pushed myself a little too hard.  We ran three very hard and somewhat hilly miles and ended up walking about another mile so I could literally uncurl my body from the running position.  After that run we decided that until the gym is open for academic hours we are doing morning runs when it's cooler.

  So today we ran at 6am.  Let me tell you, it's amazing to run in 80 degree weather when you are used to running in the 100's all summer.  Total and complete bliss!!  It was so amazing we ran 3.21 miles before we even considered walking!  Then we knew we wanted to go further so we walked an additional 2 miles before heading home to start our day!  The whole 5+ mile loop only took us an hour - 37 minutes of running and the rest walking.  I felt so energized and relaxed when we finished and we kept saying "remember when we had to stop here last time we did this loop?" as we kept running further and further.

  The interesting part is that for once I'm focusing on my distance rather than my pace.  I think I'm finally to a point where I know I can run a 5k in under 28 if I really push it.  Now I just want to keep gaining distance and not worry about speed.  I know a year ago I would have been so disappointed about running a 5k in over 40 minutes but now for me it's about conquering the hills, keeping my pace steady and not pushing so hard I want to die before I finish.  It's been a mind game most of the time - trying to not let the mental blocks stop me but I'm slowly getting there.
 
  I have to admit I'm very proud of us for keeping up with our weekly goals so far.  It's been tough with both of us taking vacations (and slacking on them at times!) but we're back on track and doing great. At the same time, a 7 mile course this weekend is so daunting!  I know I can do 4 to 5 miles if I push myself - I'm just not sure about adding another 3 miles on top of that.  Eryn can run up to 6 miles when she pushes herself.  I told her my goal for this weekend is running a total of at least 5 miles - even if it's broken up.  I just want to run as much as I can and walk as little as I have to.  We'll see how it goes!!


No comments:

Post a Comment