I've been thinking I'd like to see your eyes open real wide the minute that you see me

I've been thinking I'd like to see your eyes open real wide the minute that you see me

Friday, August 12, 2011

More training x 2

  We are not almost a week into RA training and I'm making it!

  It hit me this morning that my students are moving in within 2 days and although I know we are prepared for the most part (minus the copier being broken this week - yeah SA people, you read that right!!) and we'll be great for opening.

  The start of the week and getting used to late night runs along with long training days really wiped me out but I think my body is finally getting back on schedule.

  Last night Eryn and I had an epic run - one I had to blog about just because I'm so proud of myself (and Eryn) and were else can I promote myself but here? : )

  We are not doing morning runs this week 1) because I'd die with training starting at 8am most days and 2) because it's been raining all day all week so by nighttime it is cooler and not raining.  Last night I asked that we meet up at 8.15pm because I figured we'd be doing 4 miles and that usually lasts about an hour with stretching beforehand.  We ran a little late (due to me) and started our run around 8.35pm or so.

  We decided to run our latest route backwards just to get a change of pace, try new hills and trick our body/mind.  It worked!  The weather was amazing - a cool 76 degrees with a slight breeze.  After running in 104 degrees lately, this was heaven on earth for us!!

  Before we knew it, we were up to 3 miles.  My goal for the night was 3.5 straight.  We hit just over 3 and agreed to keep pushing since we were near a local mall.  While Eryn stopped in Starbucks I did an extra lap and get a few more steps in.

  After we met up again we continued running and kept going and going.  Before we knew it, we were up to 6 miles before walking!  I was blown away - I still can't believe we made it that far!  We added time as we went, which was fine, but it was such a great feeling starting with a 9'50 mile and ending on just a little over an 11' mile.

  The funniest part was we were honked numerous times, screamed at a few times and almost caused an accident on Utica when the guy almost hit the curb on the corner because he was checking us out.  I laughed really hard over that one.

  Since we made 1 mile short of our Sat run I feel more comfortable taking that morning off so I'm ready for training and making up my mileage that evening so I can get a good nights sleep before my freshmen move in on Sunday.  I'm also very lucky to have such a supportive staff who have been able to keep up with their work while I've been doing my mileage this week.

  Finally, exciting news - we picked our October run - Tulsa Run 2011!!  Eryn has talked me into a 15k as a practice run before our half marathon in November.  Nervous, but now knowing I can do 6 miles somewhat easily, I am feeling more ok with an almost 10 mile run by then.  Wish me luck!! 

1 comment: