I've been thinking I'd like to see your eyes open real wide the minute that you see me

I've been thinking I'd like to see your eyes open real wide the minute that you see me

Monday, June 20, 2011

Vacation Time!!

  Sitting here listening to my country music and playing catch up on a few small work things before my vacation starts... tomorrow at 11am!!  My co-worker is driving me to the airport and my flight leaves at 12:45pm.  I, as usual, will spend the entire day either in the air or at an airport, but it's worth it!

  The one thing that drives me nuts when I fly is the fact that I fly out of OK only to fly into Texas.  Seriously?!  I don't understand why they can't just fly me straight to Charlotte, NC and save me some time (and money!!) but it never fails that's where I go first and have the longest layover.  I will finally arrive in Pennsylvania around 9.30pm much to the happiness of my best friend.  I'll be spending the week with her, her husband and my 4 godchildren.


  Poor Colton (my second oldest boy) has been driving his mom nuts asking if it's Tuesday yet and when I'll be coming.  I think it's partly the excitement of seeing Aunt Stephanie (or Aunt Tetanie) and also the excitement of knowing that when I get there we're going to the beach for a little bit. : )  I'm just excited to spend time with them and celebrate early and late birthdays that I had to miss due to work/being so far away.

  As I write this my best friend and I are talking via text about her workout routine and what she's doing.  Being a mom of 3 under the age of 6 and an almost 18 year old is keeping her busy already but she wants to see results and she's not.  She is doing P90X which I'm excited to try with her.  I've heard people talking about it but never tried.  I'm going to introduce her to the Nike Training app (she has an iPad).  I'm just looking forward to switching up my routine since i won't have a gym to go to.

  I'm nervous about my 4 mile run I have to do while I'm away.  I'm missing the 4 mile trail run and our group is highly encouraging us to not miss any runs - even if we are away.  I may end up taking the kids out and figuring out what would be the best way to get 4 miles in and not get horribly lost this time. : )

  Training went well on Saturday.  I wanted to die when the alarm went off at 6am but I got up, dressed and was out the door by 6.30am to be there at 6.45am like we were asked.  I waited with our group and managed to stay with the front of the group for the first mile.  I broke away a little bit after the first mile and followed one of the girls I met in the group as she ran ahead of me.  Before I knew it, I had passed her and was up to where most of my 5k's on that part of the trail end.  Once I passed the bathrooms and the groups of runner's there either going in or getting water I decided to start a brisk walk.  I was getting tired and it was extremely hot (close to 90 and it was just after 7am!!) and I was dying in my t-shirt.

  I knew we were running to a bridge to cross but when I made it to the first bridge I did not see any way to get onto it.  At this point I was exhausted and wanted to curl up in a ball and rest.  I had my heart set on the fact that was the bridge and could make it that far.    I pushed a little further because I saw a water fountain and figured I could at least run to that, get a drink and then walk until I figured out where I needed to be.

  Of course the water fountain didn't work... adding to my misery.  I knew I could run 3 miles but couldn't figure out why I was so exhausted when I should only have a little more to go.  I started walking the trail as people began to pass me.  I ended up running into a girl who asked if we'd missed the 3 mile cross over.  I wasn't sure so we started walking together and when her team leader passed we asked her.  She said we had indeed missed the 3 mile trail and had actually ended up on the 5 mile trail.  Eeek!  No wonder I was so tired!

  We decided to just get in the extra miles and walked the rest of the way.  As we walked we discovered we both worked for the same school.  She's a graduate student and I am professional staff.  She explained a friend of hers is looking for a job in student affairs so after we finished we traded cards and I told her to have her friend get in touch with me and I'd help her with her job search as best I could.  Funny the people you meet when you get lost!!

  As I mentioned earlier, I have to take this weekend off because I will be out of town so Eryn will have to train with the group alone this weekend and then I think we'll be back on the following Sat together.  I am nervous about training still, but I think training earlier in the morning is going to help.  They have moved this weekend up to 6.15am which should be much better than when we started out.  Who knew it would be almost 90 at 7am.  That's crazy!!

  Not sure if I'll be able to update a lot while I'm away but if I can, I will.  Good luck to those training on Saturday!! And if you are interested, our facebook group is - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Half-and-Half-RunnersWorld-Tulsa-Training-Group/129588493788270.

  Have a great week everyone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment