I've been thinking I'd like to see your eyes open real wide the minute that you see me

I've been thinking I'd like to see your eyes open real wide the minute that you see me

Monday, June 13, 2011

Half Training and out with the old...

  This weekend was very refreshing overall which is always a nice surprise.

  I had the urge to purge - get rid of old things in my apartment and life that I really have no need for or no longer want around.  It was a great feeling to finally get rid of some of it!

  What I got rid of ranged from old emails from an ex to shoes to old photos I don't need to keep anymore because the people aren't a part of my life.  Here's a taste of what I removed that actually made me sad:

  This belt has been with me through so many weight losses and gains.  I bought it when I was in undergrad so it's close to around 10 years old by now!


  As you can see - there are many cracks in it now and it's in shambles.  This belt has, in many ways, trailed my weight gains and losses.  I've had times it wouldn't fit me at all and times when I lost weight and wished it had more holes.  Each crack shows where my weight tended to stay - between a size 10-12.
 
This shows why it's finally time to throw it away... it was holding on by strings.  Now i have to go find new belts which is never fun for me.  I hate belt shopping - when I find one (if you couldn't tell...) I tend to stick with it for a long time!
 
Next up was a shoe purge!!

  
These shoes have been with me since the early 2000's (again - undergrad purchase).  They have survived many moves and many years bring abused by all the miles I walk each day.


   My students got to to the point of ripping the sole off my shoe in hopes I'd finally throw them away.  Nope - kept them another 3 months after that.  But it's been raining more and more here and with no soles the water travels right into the bottom of the shoe and soaks my socks.

 
These are my first pair of running shoes.  I honestly thought I'd thrown them away a while ago but somehow they found their way under my bed.  I found them hiding there when I was cleaning this weekend.

 
These shoes were purchased my first summer in grad school (2007).  They were the first shoes I ran in and survived two years (yes, I know - very bad) of learning how to run on my feet.  I loved them so much I bought my second pair in the same color and style.


 This is why they need to be tossed - the huge holes where my little toes are.  Not able to use them anymore - pebbles get into them and besides that, way too many miles have been put on them over the years.

  So crazy how little things like shoes and belts can show so much of your life and remind you of the hard and good times.  Very hard getting rid of them - due to the sentimental pieces they brought - but I put them into the trash and took it out last night.

  As for training - I'm super excited.  Eryn and I went to the info session on Sunday afternoon and it was fun.  There were about 30 or so people there ranging from first timers (like us) to seasoned runners.  We learned what to expect (like 6.45am Sat morning runs!!) and learn more about what they have planned.  Our first run is on Saturday so I'm nervous/excited/unsure.  They said to expect a 3 mile run which is fine - I can do that.  We managed to squeak out 4.01 miles last night so I should be good.  Nervous because Eryn will be out of town so it's just me for the first run.  She'll be in the same position next week - I'll be out of town and she'll have to go alone.

  The most exciting part was the opportunity to meet people in the community who enjoy running as much as I do.  I have work friends but it would be nice to have friends outside of the office - so I can truly get away from work when I go out.  We'll see.

  Eryn and I have also talked about the training.  Our goal is to do our best to run the entire thing but neither of us wants to injure ourselves so if we have to walk, we'll walk but focus on more running than anything else.

  What I need to learn at this point is how to hydrate on the long runs.  I get migraines if I don't hydrate enough and do a long run and the last thing I need is a migraine on that day!! I want to be able to enjoy the race, not dread it.  Stephen (my best friend) mentioned last night that he places bottles of water in certain places on his route the night before he runs - I may start trying that.  Right now we're working on our routes - adding little turns here and there to add extra miles when we can.  Seems to be working - we've gone from 2 miles up to 4 in just a few short weeks.

   I also learned Zumba will continue next semester so that's exciting.  I was actually told the reason the class is happening is because I signed up.  I loved that!!  I like having that cardio in my workout routine.   It also helps that our instructor adds about 5 minutes of abs at the end.

  Since we pushed so hard last night and Eryn's knee brace has been pinching her we're going to take the night off from running.  Since she's a fan of the bike I'll probably end up doing extra abs while she bikes.  I found a few exercises online I want to start trying to add into my workout.  We'll see how they go.

  I will post the training schedule we're going to follow as soon as I receive it.  I've only got 2 weekends I'll have to make up but I don't think that's going to be a problem.  I'm sure my godson will torture me when I'm home and help me get lost in his neighborhood again so I end up running major miles (love you Corey!) and the other weekend I'll just figure out way to add extra miles when I find the time.  I figure I have until November so I'm not going to stress yet! : )

No comments:

Post a Comment