I've been thinking I'd like to see your eyes open real wide the minute that you see me

I've been thinking I'd like to see your eyes open real wide the minute that you see me

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Pain is just weakness leaving the body

   ... isn't that what they tell us?  I hope so because I'm in pain today and still have Zumba tonight.

   While Eryn was working on her bike yesterday I decided to work on abs and butt.  I guess I did a good job because I can feel both areas with every movement I make today.  When I arrived at the gym I went straight to the "little room" which is set up more like a mini weight room - more for girls I feel sometimes - the soft covered weights, crunch machines, etc.

  I jumped on the incline bench to do some weight ball crunches.  I do 5 sets of 10 and in between I do straight arm lifts or face cruncher lifts with the weight ball.


  I like the weight ball with this workout because it makes me focus more than just doing crunches like this image shows.  I also put my bench at a slightly higher incline to get more from my workout.  Lately I've upgraded to an 8lb weight ball.  When I worked out with a partner back in grad school she would stand at the end of the bench and toss me the ball - the added resistance helped but I do it alone now.

  After 50 crunches I grabbed 2 5lb weights and the 8lb medicine ball and left the room to find a mat.  All the mats and spaces upstairs were taken so I went into the classroom to work out.  I hate the classroom because one entire wall is windows so anyone upstairs can watch you.  The other two walls are huge mirrors - again, not a favorite.  I pulled my mat out and laid down to face the windows outside and wall.  This way I could focus and not worry what others were thinking (not that they even care).

  I figured since I was alone I would use my iShuffle for my music and use my iPhone (work phone) for the workout.  I'm on duty this week so I have to carry the phone everywhere anyway so might as well use it!  I looked over my Nike Training Workouts and decided on the abs and butt workouts.  Combined total of 30 minutes. 




  I like the get focused workouts because it's 3 sets of the same 4 -5 positions.  They break them down between 30 seconds and 1 minute.  She talks you through it a little bit (but not too much) and although it makes you sweat, it's not horrible.

  It was my first time doing the butt/back one and it literally kicked my butt!  I had never tried a lot of the positions they used but what's nice about the app is you can pause it and watch a video to make sure you are doing it correctly.



  The side plank/twist (I forget what they call it) was also a little hard to get - I fell a few times but managed to get the hang of it by the third set.

  After that I went to my basic abs workout - I've used it at least once a week since I found the app.  It's a lot of twists, planks and crunches but spaces them out so you aren't too exhausted between each set.


  This is an example of the non-video guide to how to do the position.  Once I did the abs for the second time I wasn't in as much pain but instead felt good and invigorated.

  The other nice thing with this app is once you hit certain time goals you get rewards like new workouts and smoothie recipes.  I have one more workout to hit my goal so I'm looking forward to what my "reward" will be.  Silly, I know, but it's working for me!!

  If you are interested, the app is totally free and can be found in your iPhone app store - just search Nike Training Club and it should come right up!

  Good luck and let me know if you like it as much as I do!!

No comments:

Post a Comment