I've been thinking I'd like to see your eyes open real wide the minute that you see me

I've been thinking I'd like to see your eyes open real wide the minute that you see me

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

40 days, 40 (or more) miles

  My apologies for being absent.  Spring semester always tends to fly by and time is very hard to come by.  After the conference I was swamped with playing catch up and honestly only hit the gym twice a week.  Thankfully Phoebe and I are back to running on Mondays (we're trying the track outside - mostly because I am trying to build up to running outside again).  I also managed to get two river runs in as well - both around 2 miles.  My goal is to work up to at least 4 miles on the river by mid-summer (or before).
  This week is Housing Selection so I've been out of my office most of the week.  I was able to get a run in on Monday with Phoebe but I was exhausted from a long day so it wasn't a long run.  I showed her how Eryn and I usually do our weights and she showed me a few new exercises and introduced me to a new machine downstairs so I'm excited to start using it in two weeks when I am back on schedule.
  I wasn't able to make it last night due to unforeseen circumstances so instead I did some Wii Fit and weights in my apartment.  Even though I haven't been able to make it to the gym as much as usual I have been making sure to get my 10,000 steps in as much as possible.  That makes me feel as though I'm at least where I should be in one aspect of my life.  I hate when life isn't structured and not being on my gym schedule, to me, means it's not structured right now.
  I did make time tonight to hit the gym by myself.  I ran 1.5 miles on the treadmill at a 10min/mile pace and then walked a half mile at a 4.0 incline at 4.5 speed.  Great workout for your butt!  Then I went upstairs and did 15 minutes of weights followed by a half mile run on the track.  At that point I was pretty exhausted and went home.
  I am hoping to find time to do a lot of hiking on the trip to the grand canyon.  It's going to involve a lot of driving (10 hours our first day!) and a lot of camping but once we get to the canyon I'm excited to use the new camera and get some good shots.  It's one of those places I've always wanted to visit but figured I'd never have the chance. : )
  When I get back (in 2 weekends) I'll be back to regularly blogging and back to a regular gym schedule/running schedule.
  In the meantime, I'm excited to say I've picked my next few races!!  In April I'll be doing the Race Against Racism - it's a downtown race so it will be pretty hilly but I am up for the challenge!! And May's race will by the Cinco de Mayo race and possibly the Full Moon 5k the following weekend. : )
  I am going to try to fit a race in this month but I'll be missing the St. Patty's Day 5k (sadly!) because I'll be travelling that week.  I'm really sad about it because it's the race that started my running in my new town and I wanted to see how far I've come but maybe next year.
  Finally, I want to thank Jessica for this years Lent suggestion.  Last year I was encouraged not to just give something up but to also do something for myself.  Last year I gave up Diet Coke (first 2 weeks almost killed me!) and wrote post cards to 40 people who touched and changed my life.  This year I am once again giving up Diet Coke and will attempt to run a total of 40 (or more) miles during the 40 days of Lent.  Jessica said this was "easy" for me but since I won't really have the chance to run while I'm travelling (I will have my gear just in case) I will end up being 9 to 10 days behind.  Having the time limit will be good I think because it will make me set my goals for the week higher than usual and push me to push myself harder. : )
  Good luck if you are choosing to do something for Lent!
Day 1 - 2 miles!  38 to go!!

No comments:

Post a Comment