I've been thinking I'd like to see your eyes open real wide the minute that you see me

I've been thinking I'd like to see your eyes open real wide the minute that you see me

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Lucky 105

  So this is my 105th post since I started blogging.  For some odd reason, 105 is one of my "lucky numbers" - probably because it's the only locker I remember having in high school and I have a slight (ha ha) obsession with the number 5.
  Anyway, this post is going to be filled with many photos and lots of exciting updates/news so prepare yourself. : )
  First, I have to say that this week is only half done and I have already ran 8.75 miles!  I am so excited/proud about this fact.  I haven't been so good about my 10mile a week goal and when this week is finished, I will hit 12 miles (thanks to the race).  I'm so excited about that prospect!
  I ran 3.5 with Eryn on Monday, 2 with Phoebe last night and 2.25 with my instructor today.  Then we met up with Jess and ran another mile with her.  I am taking tomorrow and Friday off so I will be ready for my race on Saturday.
  I'm super excited about the race this weekend - I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to do it.  Last week I pushed myself really hard and almost ended up getting hurt.  I arrived back in town on Monday, ran 3 miles straight on Tuesday night and then did 2 miles for class.  I went to do another mile with Jess and the insides of both of my calves got charlie horses while we were running.  I tried to run them out, figuring they'd stretch out, but instead they started rolling around and cramping horribly.  Horrible pain - to the point I had to stop and walk a little bit (which I never do anymore).  I tried running another lap but couldn't do it and ended up giving up for the day.  I put IcyHot on them (couldn't find my Mineral Ice) and the next day they were still bad.
  I had a formal that night so rather than be a smart person and wear flats (which hurt my feet horribly), I wore very high heels.  But, thanks to my running and Zumba, you can see my legs are looking very nice! ha ha

  The walk across campus was long but I made it. : )  And the shoes were removed after a little over an hour - mostly because they were giving me blisters and I can't run with blisters.  It was a huge change from formal last year - by close to 20lbs.  I appreciated all the sweet comments from everyone that night.
  Tonights excitement was registering for my next 5k.  This one is even more exciting than all the others because I am running with one of my RA's and one of my former residents.  Jess, my RA, has been running with me every Wednesday since August.  She has lost weight, gone from a half lap on the track to five straight laps and has come a long way in a short time.  I am so proud of her!
  We decided that the Jingle Bell 5k would be a good testing point for her.  She has set her goal for sub 45 which is going to be good for her.  Possibly a little challenging, depending on how much she walks, but I know she'll do wonderfully.  I told her when I ran my first 5k I was right around mid-44 so that's a good time.  I did mine with a ton of hills too so we'll see.  It will be her first PR and a good starting point.  Her next goal will be running an entire 5k.  Took me a year so we'll see if it takes her less.
  This is my first long-sleeve t-shirt race.  I may actually wear it on race day - a first for me.  We'll see how cold it is.  I'm figuring I'll wear the same outfit I did for my last race - tank, t-shirt and hoodie combo.  Seems to work good during cold months - keeps me warm but not overheating.
  We got some fun goodies in our bag too.  Jess hasn't seen them yet, but here's the shirt:

  Sorry - I will have to go in later and arrange it so it's right side up.  My cell doesn't do that. : (
  My lucky number for this race...

  Jess will be 1086 so if you are in or at the race, cheer for us!!
  The best surprise in the bag...


  Oh yeah! We got a cowbell! ha ha I love Oklahoma!!  We found this along with our little jingle bells for our shoes.  I am going to return a favor to Jess for this race and make her an Operation Beautiful sign for her back when we race.  In return, she is making me a new one (my last one is laminated and hanging in the center of all my race bibs on the wall in my office) as well as making one for Eryn and her roommate Erica to wear if they would like to do so.
  My last bit of news... a big congrats to my friend Sarah (the beautiful blonde to my right in the photo - I'm center).

  Sarah has officially started a couch to a 5k program (similar to mine) and is on her way to becoming healthier, happier and a stronger runner! I am so happy for her and we're already making plans to run in the mornings when we travel together this summer.  May sound silly to some, but I've learned from others that there's nothing like getting to see a city by running a few miles each morning.  You really get a different outlook on life in that area.  I can't wait!  I know Sarah and she will give it her all and be up to my mileage in no time!  Maybe I can even get her to blog about her thoughts/struggles/achievements. ; )  We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment