I've been thinking I'd like to see your eyes open real wide the minute that you see me

I've been thinking I'd like to see your eyes open real wide the minute that you see me

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Tennis elbow from running?

  So I guess I have my first real injury (aside from the horrid fall on the track that still has left a scar on my knee!) from running.
  I finally made an appointment to see a doctor about the pain in my elbow.  I noticed I keep hitting my right elbow on the poles of our upstairs track when I run because I usually run on the inside of everyone else.  To add more injury to it, I tend to bounce it off my door frames in my apartment at least once a day.
  I explained all of this to the doctor who informed me I have "tennis elbow."
  I then apparently offended him because his solution was to take some advil or tylenol.  I explained that I don't self medicate - I don't take any type of pills like that.  I asked if there was another way I could take care of the pain (esp. since I've been living with the constant pain for over a month) outside of aspirin - I didn't want to just mask the pain but actually fix the injury so it heals.  He just looked at me like I was telling him how to do his job and said not really.  He gave me an extra strength prescription for Advil or something that I have to take to Target (which I will... only  because I have a coupon to get a $10 gift card for a new prescrip!) and take that twice a day.  He also, against his wishes, gave me some example stretches I should be doing to help the healing.
  Everything else he suggested consisted of things I was already doing - ice it, wrap it, etc.  That's obviously not really working.  He also gave me some information they had to read about what exactly is going on with my elbow.  I may get a second opinion - last time I saw this doctor he told me my hearing loss was from too much wax while it was really from a collapsed inner ear canal.
  As for running, I did not do my race this past weekend.  I was on duty and received a call as I was planning to leave so it killed those plans.  And this weekend my job is requiring me to drive to AR and camp out so I have to skip the other race I wanted to do.  I believe there may be one on the 20th which isn't ideal since I'll be traveling 12+ hours the following day to get back to PA but I may just do it so I have that under my belt and know what to expect/can set a new goal for the Jingle Bell we are doing on the 11th of December.  Pretty excited for that race - I want Jess to see how far she has come! : )

No comments:

Post a Comment