I've been thinking I'd like to see your eyes open real wide the minute that you see me

I've been thinking I'd like to see your eyes open real wide the minute that you see me

Thursday, November 4, 2010

First Track Experience

  So yesterday pretty kicked my butt but at the same time showed me how far I've come since I started training with my instructor almost a year ago.
  I had my first track experience yesterday.  I've walked a track with my friend Boyer at my grad school so he could exercise but I haven't run one since high school and even then, that doesn't really count (I was more fast walking than running back then).
  It was definitely a worthwhile experience.  We started just outside of the gym and ran for 5 minutes straight which was basically to the track and around a lap and a half.  Then I began to do 800 meter fartleks (as in true ones, not the ones I'd been doing inside on the track).  That basically meant I ran half the track at my top speed and kept trying to get faster.
  My first try I got 44 seconds.  Then I was hit with the news that I had to get faster for the next 5 - each time trying to shave off a few seconds.  I really never thought I could do it, but I did.  My next one was 41, followed by 39, then 38, 35 and finishing at 33 seconds.  Who knew I could be so fast (other than my instructor and I think I even shocked him a little bit!).
  At that point I was pretty much at my limit and ready to die.  So of course he reminds me we still have another 5 minute run to finish and that a true workout is when you are to the point of complete exhaustion.  We ran the track another 2 laps and then ran back to the gym.
  And let me tell you that I continue to torture myself... when we arrive at the gym Jess is already running her warm-up which means some quick stretches and I'm off running another 1.25 miles with Jess.  Some days I don't know where I have the willpower to do it, but I am so thankful that Jess is taking the class as well this year so I know that I am going to always get at least 3 miles (or more) in each Wednesday.
  I think I've picked my race for the month.  I'm going to swing by Runner's World to make sure I can still register and if I can, I'll be racing this weekend.  Pretty excited - I messed up and missed the races in October due to vacation and duty.  I'm on duty this week but a wonderful co-worker (well, two of them) have agreed to hold the phone so I can race in the next town over.  Pretty excited.  I love running in this type of chilly weather - makes me happy to be alive.
  I'll write more about the race once I am sure I am registered.
  I am also super excited because Joey and Jess may (hopefully) race with me on Dec. 11th for the Jingle Bell 5k!!  How exciting will that be?!  I'm also going to talk to Phoebe and see if she's up for it as well.  And if all goes well... I'll also be running a super sweet race that will start at 11.45pm on New Years Eve and end with me crossing the line in the New Year!!  I'm a dork, I know, but I think that would be the best way for me to start a fresh year!  I can't wait.
  Sorry, as always for the delays in posting - things have been very hectic life and work-wise with Halloween and 2 duty weeks in the past 3 weeks.  I will try to be better. : )

1 comment:

  1. A girl I worked with in Admissions ran a half marathon that was on a track - just around and around and around... can you believe that?!

    ReplyDelete