I've been thinking I'd like to see your eyes open real wide the minute that you see me

I've been thinking I'd like to see your eyes open real wide the minute that you see me

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

New Runs

  One of my favorite things in the world, but also one of the most nerve-wracking things at the same time, is running with someone new.  I always wonder - will they run faster than me?  Can I keep up?  What if they want to go longer than I can do?  What if they need to stop all the time?  What if I need to stop a lot?  Do they like to talk or do they prefer music? - these are only a small smattering of the thoughts that run through my mind "pre-run."
  I am always open to running with new people.  I see it as a chance to improve my running - whether it's pushing myself harder to keep up with someone (like my co-worker, Ryan) or slowing myself down and learning to keep a slower, steady pace so I can work on the length of the run not the time (like with Jessica).
  In all honesty, I will almost always choose running with someone over running alone.  The only time I prefer to run alone is if I am having a bad/rough day.  Then I just want to pound my frustrations out into the concrete and lose myself in the music.  Otherwise, I'd much prefer conversation and having someone to push me to the next level.
  Last night I ran with one of my new students this year.  I was nervous because she's been running forever and had gotten herself up to around 45 miles a week (I'm nowhere near that!).  She was great though - we had wonderful conversation right off the bat and I kept pretty good pace with her for how fast she is.  We ended up doing a 2 mile campus look in well under 20 minutes.  I even felt refreshed after run!  It was a very nice feeling.
  Tonight I'm running the track with my former resident Eryn.  I always enjoy running with Eryn - we have great conversation and she is one of those people I can just run forever with.  Chances are pretty high that if I hit over 2 miles, I was running with her. 
  The other big thing going on that I'm looking forward to is leaving in a few days to go home for a week! I haven't been home since January and can't wait to see my friends, former students and ex-co-workers.  It's going to be a great time! : )

No comments:

Post a Comment